Wednesday, July 3, 2013

For Your Review: Merino/Tussah Silk to Spin

From Ashland Bay's website:

"The 70/30 Merino/Tussah Silk dyed fiber blend is a perfect ratio of wool to silk for a spinner’s first introduction to spinning with silk. The blend is also great for felting. We offer over a dozen bright and vibrant colors of our Merino Silk dyed fiber blend, including seasonally inspired color ways."

All I can say is, AMEN! I decided to treat myself for the Tour de Fleece, and, man, is this a treat.


This top is so beautiful, and spins so well, I almost can't believe it. I tried over-the-fold, at first, because I heard that was a good way to control silk, but it didn't really work. So, just a simple, relaxed, worsted-spun yarn was born. Plied into a two-ply, it is drapey, smooth, and beautiful. 

If you want to spin silk, or even a silk blend, go for it! Just, maybe, get a manicure first. Every snag or rough spot on your hands will catch at the silk, and it's rather annoying.

Are you doing anything special for the Tour de Fleece? I know I'm going to be spinning the rest of this. Come grab some spinning fiber at the shop before I use it all up!

No comments: