Wednesday, August 21, 2013

For Your Review: Why Use A Stand for Your Loom?



Not every weaver works on a stand. Many prefer tables. If a loom is small enough, it can even rest in your lap. I talked with one weaving teacher who said she uses a TV tray to hold hers.


I decided to go ahead and get a stand. The tiny loom I borrowed from my friend did fit in my lap, and that was nice, but the cats sometimes knocked it off. It was uncomfortable to have to hold my legs still while weaving. Also, sometimes it’s hard to pack in the yarn onto a loom that’s in your lap. (You don’t always have to do this, but when you need to, it’s nice to have a little leverage.)

I am so happy that I got the stand. Schacht stands are really stable and I’ve never heard of one breaking down. It was really easy to put together, too. But, be careful - they include hardware for a bunch of different looms with the stand. It might be helpful to measure each of the bolts before you begin, so you don’t do what I did and use the short bolts where you should have had long ones!

No comments: